For those of you who have ever heard/seen/played the game, you might be familiar with the theme song. Popular with the theme is the 2 second long high pitched vamp heard at the title screen, just before the main riff plays[link]. This journal teaches you how to make that sound. Even if you are not a fan of the game, this is a cool thing to do on your spare time ,and also a great way of learning sound manipulation.
What you'll need:
- The song Get Ready For This (Orchestral Mix) by 2 Unlimited, which is this song right here:[link]
- Audacity: [link].
1. Open up Audacity and bring in the song. This can be done by either dragging the song onto the program, or going to File>Import>Audio...
2. Once this is done, you will see a blue thing in the program. This is a waveform. This allows you to see what the song looks like. At the top of the screen you will see an icon that looks like a magnifying glass with a plus sign: . Keep clicking it until the waveform looks similar to this:
3. You'll notice in the picture above that at the 12 second mark (indicated by the timeline above the waveform) you'll see bumps. This is where the actual song itself starts. We don't need this. Click anywhere on the waveform itself and you'll notice a line appear. Click just behind these bumps at the 12 second mark and the line will go there. You don't have to be perfect, as long as it's close enough.
4. In step 2, I introduced you to the zoom button (the one with the magnifying glass). Now I will introduce you to another one: the "Fit" btton. This is a few buttons away from the Zoom button, and looks like this: Click it. This allows you to see the entire waveform.
5. Hold shift and click the end of the song. Your waveform should look like this:
. Notice how the beginning of the song is NOT highlighted.
6. Go to Edit>Remove Audio>Cut. This will get rid of the highlighted part. Once you've done this, click on the Fit button again. Your waveform should look like this:
7. Double click on the waveform. This highlights the whole thing. Go to Effect>Change Speed. A window will pop up asking you for a percent. Type in 53 and hit OK.
8. With the waveform STILL HIGHLIGHTED, go to Effect>Change Pitch. Another window will appear. Where it says Percent Change, type in 10 and click OK.
9. Click on the green Play button at the top. Congratulations, you have just discovered how to make the vamp from Sonic Adventure 2! Using the methods I taught you above, you can remove the first 3 seconds of the song so yo get to right where the vamp actually begins.
Since this is my first tutorial, I probably have made some mistakes or left something out that has made you get stuck. If this is the case, let me know. Thanks!